Tuesday, July 29, 2008

George's

Jason and I went to see Old '97's last Tuesday at the Variety Playhouse, so we needed a spot not too far from L5P that wouldn't take too long and George's in Virginia Highlands fit the bill nicely. The reviews all praised the burgers as being the best in town, so of course that's what we ordered. I very much appreciate the fact that you can choose a 5 oz or an 8 oz burger. I got the 5 oz blue cheese burger with barbecue sauce (the BBQ sauce was my addition). Quite tasty, still pink in the middle, juicy, and with plenty of blue cheese. Jason got the mushroom swiss, I believe. We both thought the burgers were good, but also agreed that they could maybe have used a little spice in the beef (I feel like this is a theme in our reviews). The fries were steak cut, but still crispy which I definitely appreciate, since I like the taste of potatoes, but not the texture (I know, I know, I'm a weirdo). The onion rings, which Jason got, were also nice and crisp. Pretty standard.

The atmosphere is definitely a neighborhood bar kind of place. Nothing fancy, but not too sketchy. The waitstaff was very friendly. I'd definitely go here again for a burger and they apparently have trivia on Tuesday nights.

No comments: