Friday, July 18, 2008

Fritti

I was really looking forward to our planned trip to The Feed Store, but Katy realized last night that she had actually been there. Oh well, another time. So instead we went to Fritti, on North Highland Ave in Inman Park. We had walked about 3/4 of a mile to get here from her office, so I kind of wanted to sit inside and cool down, but we were directed to the patio. I got over that quickly because this is a very nice patio. Based on this visit I think that you have to get into the idea of having a nice, leisurely time because nothing is going to happen quickly. That's okay with me, as I'm fine spending a few hours on a meal but the service here is definitely a bit slower than most places. It's friendly, and I'm not talking about Steak and Shake levels of slowness, but come with the mindset that you're going to enjoy spending some time sitting on a nice patio.

From the Fritti e Antipasti part of the menu we ordered the Robiola Fritta, which is an almond crusted goat cheese, arugula, peppers, olive salad and the Bresaola della Valtellina, which is air dried beef, arugula, celery and parmigiano with lemon. It's hard to not love good, fried cheese and the almond crusted goat cheese in the Robiola Fritta was much better than your average cheese stick. The salad itself was nice, though quite heavy with the dressing. The flavors in the Bresaola della Valtellina complimented each other nicely (I'm mainly talking about the beef and the parmigiano). I didn't really know what to expect from the air dried beef, but it was very similar to some types of cured pork that I've had.

Our pizza was the Agnello e Menta, which was lamb, mint, red onions, and mozzarella. It was actually a little underwhelming. It was ground lamb mixed with mint, and there wasn't very much of it or of the onions, so most bites were plain pizza. Well done plain pizza for sure, but still plain. The crisp was light, chewy, and slightly crispy and the sauce tasted fresher than most.

The highlight of the meal was easily the Panna Cotta we had for dessert. It is a traditional eggless custard with caramel and balsamic vinegar. It was silky and creamy without being heavy. It was not too sweet, and the combination of the caramel, vinegar, and lemon was perfectly balanced against the creaminess of the custard. For some reason they threw an almond cookie on the plate, which was unnecessary and proved to be a disappointing ending though. It was actually a good cookie, but why?

Sorry no pictures. I forgot that I had taken the batteries out of my camera.

No comments: