Thursday, July 17, 2008

Eurasia

Katy:
I'm gonna take first crack at this one, since Jason hasn't put up the pictures yet. Eurasia is a "pan-asian bistro" in downtown Decatur, right next to our C, Cafe Alsace. Walking in, I immediately identified it as a much fancier restaurant than I usually frequent, but they have a quite reasonable fixe prix lunch menu and seem to do a pretty brisk lunchtime business. The fixe prix menu gives you a sample of three different appetizers, then your choice of one of four entrees. The appetizers were tasty and interesting: a chicken satay with peanut sauce, which was maybe a bit less cooked than some folks would like, but I found pleasantly tender; a crab spring roll, a slight variation on a familiar theme; and a chicken and shrimp ravioli with a coconut milk curry sauce.

I ordered the crispy beef tenderloin with thai basil aioli as the entree. It was a fairly standard beef stirfry in a sweet sauce. The beef wasn't actually crispy, but it was tender. There was lots of basil, which I definitely appreciate as some places tend to skimp. But the sauce could have used more spice. There was a lovely piece of rosemary garnishing the top, and I kind of wished they would have actually used it in the dish. It could have used a little more interest.

Jason got the soy ginger glaze salmon, which was tasty, but very light on the ginger and somewhat heavy on the sweet. I felt that both entrees could have used something to cut the sweetness - either more spice or even just some straight up salt.

For dessert, there was mango ice cream and strawberry sorbet. I think we both preferred the mango as being both a bit more interesting than the strawberry and also ice cream, which is always better than sorbet.

No comments: