Thursday, June 12, 2008

Operation Abecedarian Eateries 1.0

Here's the list from 2006. This is a true test of memory.

Ambra, Bundo's Market Italian, Ciao Bella, Duck's Cosmic Kitchen, Einstein's, Food 101, Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles, Hong Li, Ibiza, Jeon Tong Noodle House, Kokeb, Little Malaysia, Machu Picchu, New Paradise, Oga's, Penang, Queen of Sheeba, Royal Orchid Thai, So Kong Dong, Tierra, Udipi, Voila, Wisteria, Xin Xin, Yami Sushi, Zuma Sushi

And here's what we remember:
Katy: (coming soon)
Jason:
Little Malaysia- This is where I met Katy for the first time. It's a Malaysian place in the big Asian Square shopping center on BuHi (the one with with Ming's BBQ). Bitter melon soup was interesting, beef rendang was dry. It would be an okay option for Malaysian if it weren't for the fact the Penang and Asam are so close.

Machu Picchu- Peruvian. I think I recall an interesting soup, but the rest was lackluster. I wasn't tempted to return.

New Paradise- A great find on Buford Highway, just west of the Chamblee Tucker. An extensive menu (make sure to ask for the other menu) of very well prepared Cantonese food. I'm addicted to the salt and pepper pork chops, another friend of mine is addicted to the eggs with baby shrimp (a dish that John Kessler called paradigm shifting), and everything I have had has been very good. Lunch specials are $5.25 and Jackie is also the friendliest server in Atlanta.

Oga's- A grubby diner on Peachtree Industrial. I don't remember it too well.

Penang- Heaven. This is what Malaysian food should taste like. I've been back many times, and because the Malaysian food is so good I avoided the Thai part of the menu. I was there recently though and asked for a recommendation and was told to get the green curry. Now, green curry is the dish that I test new Thai places with, and I've probably had it in 20 different restaurants. It has ranged from good (Little Bangkok, Nahm) to unbelievably bland (too many to list, but disappointingly L'Thai is on the list). What they gave me at Penang was a revelation. How can a food be so complex and balanced and addictive? All of the flavors of green curry were just more present here, the earthiness of the galanga, the sour of the lemongrass, the richness of the coconut milk, and though I wanted it spicier (I forgot to mention that to the server) it had a good bite to it, much more than a lot of places where I actually request it very spicy. I mentioned to the waitress how much better their green curry is than everyone else's and she told me it's because they use as much of the expensive ingredients as you're actually supposed to, but most places try to save some money and scrimp. Other dishes to try are Penang Kari Mee, which is a rich coconut milk, lemongrass, chicken, tofu, and noodle soup, and Penang Char Kuey Teow, which is the house special stir fried flat rice noodles with fresh shrimp, squid, bean sprout, eggs, soy sauce and chili paste. Oh yeah, don't forget to get the Roti Canai. Roti is a flat bread, and it's served with a wonderful curry that has chunks of chicken and potatoes, for like $2.50. Penang is in the Orient Center shopping center on BuHi at Chamblee Tucker (just west of New Paradise).

Queen of Sheba- Ethiopian food on Briarcliff near North Druid Hills. Katy and I both got beef dishes. It tasted good, but the flavor got a little old after eating half of the pile of meat. The server was very helpful though and showed us how to eat the food with the enerja bread.

Royal Orchid Thai- Decent Thai food in the Midtown Promenade. I got green curry, which was fine, but nothing too special. The hot tea was awesome though. I've been meaning to go back just to figure out what kind of tea they use.

So Kong Dong- Good Korean food across BuHi from the Pinetree Plaza shopping center. Tofu soups are a little cheaper than 88 Tofu House and at least as good. Their Korean BBQ is good, though I'll admit I've only tried it in a few places (and it's always good). I always look forward to the banchan here (banchan is the assortment of small plates including kimchee and various other foods that comes with virtually all Koren meals) because they usually give you a whole fried fish.

Tierra- This would rank somewhere up in the top meals I've ever had. It's a Latin American bistro in Midtown on Piedmont. I unfortunately have more of a memory of really enjoying it than of specifically what I ate. I'll eventually go back (it is considerably more expensive than the little BuHi places I tend to wander into).

Udipi- South Indian vegetarian food on Scott Boulevard. They have a $7 lunch buffet which is very good.

Voila- a European Bistro on Ponce on the west side of downtown Decatur. It was pleasant, though my memory is vague.

Xin Xin- There aren't many Xs, so we ventured up to a strip mall Chinese place in Kennesaw. I got the beef with peppers, which was literally a plate of half beef and half chopped jalapenos.

Zuma Sushi- Sushi in the Old 4th Ward on Highland, across from the Highland Bakery. This is easily the best sushi I've ever had, including some sublime toro (fatty tuna belly). All of the fish that I have had here has been fresh, the right temperature, and well prepared. The rolls in general feature the fish instead of trying to hide it.

No comments: